Bed bugs are tiny insects that feed on the blood of humans and other animals. They can reside in your furniture, sofas, beds or in carpets. They bite humans at night when they are sleepy. Bed bugs are oval-figured, can be flat and the color of these may be reddish-brown. They are between 1 to 7 millimeters in length. The bed bug bites are not always easy to identify. They form a regular line of small red pimples on the skin . At first, we can first think of flea or mosquito bites, especially since from one person to another, the reaction to bedbug bites will not be the same. Indeed, some individuals can develop an allergic reaction. But the traces of blood left in the bed, when the bloodthirsty bedbugs are crushed, are the most obvious symptom of an invasion.
Anyway, there are some clues that lead you to understand that you are the victim of bedbug bites . For example, when an insect bites you at night in your bed.
In recent years, bed bugs have been everywhere. In hotel rooms, cottages, transport, and even at home.
Where do they come from?
Travel and travel contribute to the proliferation of bed bugs: Bed bugs can spread over great distances through air or train travel. When you stay in a hotel, a train or boat cabin, a guest house… Inspect the room: the cupboards and the bed (mattresses, pillows, box springs…) to detect the possible presence of bed bugs.
How to recognize bed bug bites
Bed bugs can have serious consequences on people’s health and quality of life. Knowing how to recognize them is therefore essential to act quickly to prevent and effectively control bedbug infestations. Avoid applying insecticides yourself to try to get rid of bedbugs. This can harm you or your children’s health and make bed bugs more difficult to get rid of.
In the majority of cases there will not be one, but several pimples that appear on your body in clusters , in a straight line. Most bites go away after a few days without needing treatment. This explains why many individuals often do not notice the invasion for several months. Their head has a grooved “rostrum” made up of 4 very fine stylets which, once inserted into the skin, one sucks blood and the other injects an anesthetic anticoagulant saliva so that we do not feel the bite.
An injection will vary according to several criteria:
- If the bite was brief : in this case, a small red pimple may appear on your skin. The bed bug button is flat, round in shape, and red in color.
- If the bite has lasted longer: a bedbug can suck your blood for 10 or even 15 minutes. The reaction is then more virulent (photo above), there may be a large pimple or a large swollen plaque.
- If you have an allergy : immediate appearance of a reddish bump causing a skin infection. It can be painful and scratching the affected area can make the infection worse. In the event of a problem, do not delay in going to your doctor.
The areas where you are bitten will help you determine the pest in question. Although the bedbug can bite you all over your body,
Where does bed bug bite?
They generally favor exposed areas: the back, torso, neck, legs, arms, chest and face. Conversely, fleas will bite on the lower limbs such as the legs and ankles.
Bed bug bites: symptoms
Bedbug bites can sometimes be accompanied by various symptoms. In these cases it is:
- Sleeping problem due to itching from bites.
- Dermatological problem caused by incessant and violent scratching.
- Skin rashes and allergies.
- Skin dimpling
- Read streaks or spots near bug bites
How long does it take for bite marks to appear?
This will depend on the sensitivity of the person who is bitten and the level of tolerance of his body to the substances contained in the saliva of the bedbug. Some people will have no reactions or symptoms after a bedbug bite: no pimples, no itching, and no pain. Others, less fortunate, will see all its symptoms appear suddenly.
In some people, itching and red stinging marks appear a few hours later. For others, it may take a few days. And there are the lucky ones who will get nothing.
Bed bugs often bite some people more
Like most insects called blood-sucking (which feed on blood), the bedbug has prime targets. Bedbugs will favor certain “victims”. It is therefore quite possible that there are two of you sleeping in the same bed but only one person has the bite marks. It has been noticed that women bite more than men.
Treatments of bed bug bites
Bed bug bites disappear naturally within ten days and do not require special care.
Cleanse your skin and try not to scratch to avoid superinfection.
If you suffer from persistent itching, see your doctor who may prescribe a cream to relieve you.
The first symptoms
When the bedbug bites, small red pimples that resemble mosquito bites appear.
The itching usually occurs one to two hours after the bite.
These bites are visible in small groups of 3 to 5 bites located in the same place (in an onion row or in a bouquet) on the back, arms, legs …
Bed bug bites: the solutions to get rid of them
If you think you may be infested with bedbugs, they must be eradicated . Here’s how to do it:
- Use a vacuum cleaner while removing the “broom” tip to capture eggs and insects. Warning ! The vacuum does not kill them, so they can come out a few minutes or hours later. The vacuum cleaner duct must be cleaned and the bag hermetically sealed, then disposed of in an outside trash;
- Wash by Machine all your clothes, pillows and linens (over 55 ° C to kill insects), if you suspect they are contaminated;
- For bed bugs hiding in cracks as well as eggs, use a steam cleaner to burn them. To find the bedbugs more easily, equip yourself with a flashlight.
- Seal cracks and crevices between baseboards, on wooden bed frames and on walls by caulking them. Repair or remove the peeling paper, retighten the switch plates;
- Once the bed bugs have been eliminated, spray Diatomaceous earth (a natural insecticide available in all DIY stores) in a spray in confined places (on the bed structure (slats, box spring …), behind the baseboards. , between the slits in the floors …).
If, despite all this, you continue to see a large number of bedbugs, contact a pest control specialist who will take care of the pest control..
What are grandmother’s remedies for treating bed bug bites?
There are a few grandma remedies for treating bed bug bites, here are a few.
- Calamine lotion: Calamine lotion is ideal for treating bed bug bites. It relieves itching and also helps dry rashes and protect the skin.
- Baking soda and water: Make a paste of baking soda and water and apply it directly to the pimple. Let it dry before wiping it off with a cotton ball.
- Vinegar: Vinegar is very effective in relieving itching caused by an insect bite. We recommend that you use apple cider vinegar or white vinegar.
- Toothpaste: the menthol contained in toothpaste is a good anti itching remedy. Apply a generous amount to the sting to soothe the burning sensation and relieve the itching.
What are the natural remedies for treating bed bug bites?
In addition to the so-called “grandmother’s remedies, there are also natural remedies to combat the unwanted effects of insect bites.
- Witch hazel: this plant has a mild anesthetic effect that helps soothe itching caused by a bite. You can find it as an infusion, capsules or mother tincture.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera (either “fresh” or in gel form) works well against insect bites. The active substances and amino acids present in Aloe vera help relieve itching and burning sensations.
- Lemon juice: it has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It is also a natural astringent. Lemon juice can help dry rashes and itchiness while reducing redness and swelling.
- Banana peel: This is an excellent natural remedy for bed bug bites. The natural oils found in banana peel can help relieve itching and redness.
- Peppermint essential oil: As with toothpaste, the attributes of menthol will help relieve itching. The most effective treatment is to run a hot bath and add a few drops of peppermint essential oil to it.
How to avoid a bedbug infestation?
There is no miracle solution, but there are all the same preventive measures to know.
- When traveling, possibly inspect the hotel room bed for the presence of bedbugs.
- Be vigilant before bringing back used furniture and mattresses. Be sure to thoroughly inspect and clean these items before installing them in your home.
- If you think you have been bitten by bedbugs: at home, wash your clothes immediately. Wash your suitcase, in the shower or in the bathtub.
Read Also: Carpenter Bee Sting: Description and Control