Very common in cosmetics, coconut oil is an ingredient with multiple virtues. Whether for hair, face or body, it has a wide variety of properties. What are the benefits of coconut oil? Why is it used so much? Explanations.
What is Coconut Oil?
Where does coconut oil come from?
Coconut oil, also called copra oil, is extracted from the nut of the same name (also called almond). Today, coconut oil comes to us from Asia, the Pacific Islands, Africa and Central America . It is indeed in these places that the coconut grows naturally. A coconut tree produces an average of 50 to 150 fruits per year and it takes between 11 and 12 months for the fruit to mature.
How is coconut oil made?
Organic coconut oil is obtained by an artisanal process that allows it to retain all its properties and benefits for the skin. The flesh of the coconut is cold pressed and is neither refined nor bleached, unlike industrial processes. It is filtered and then bottled directly. It is therefore necessary to pay attention to the origin of coconut oil. If it has been industrially treated, there is a risk that its properties will be altered.
What are the benefits of coconut oil in cosmetics?
Why is coconut oil used so much in cosmetics?
The reason is quite simple. It has many benefits that make it an excellent daily ally, whether for the skin, face or hair . In general, vegetable oils have been known in cosmetics since antiquity for their beneficial properties for the skin and hair.
What are the benefits of coconut oil for the face and body?
Here is a small non-exhaustive list of the benefits of coconut oil for your body and your face:
- Coconut oil boosts the immune system. Rich in vitamins A and E as well as lauric acid, coconut oil has antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-infectious properties.
- Coconut oil has nourishing and moisturizing properties. Rich in fatty acids (mainly omega 9) and lauric acid, it deeply nourishes and hydrates the skin and is therefore ideal for dry skin or skin suffering from eczema. It also helps prevent evaporation from the epidermis.
- Coconut oil has an anti-aging action. Its high content of vitamin E and A gives it an antioxidant and restorative action which limits skin aging. The most damaged skins are regenerated.
- Coconut oil soothes the skin. Lauric acid helps soothe irritation and redness of the skin that can be linked to dryness or sunburn. It is said to be as effective as aloe vera.
- Coconut oil blocks some UV rays. It has a protective action that allows it to block part of the UV rays to limit the damage caused by the sun’s rays on the skin. Be careful however, coconut oil does not replace sunscreen.
- Coconut oil is an excellent makeup remover. A little tip: coconut oil is widely used to remove make-up since it gets rid of almost all make-up, even waterproof ones.
What are the benefits of coconut oil for hair?
Here are some benefits of coconut oil on the hair that we were able to identify:
- Coconut oil has moisturizing properties regardless of hair type. Rich in lauric acid, coconut oil is the ally of all hair, long, short, fine, curly, etc. Indeed, its properties make it possible to hydrate and deeply nourish each hair, from root to tip. It penetrates very easily into the hair fiber. All while sealing hydration in the hair fiber thanks to its film-forming character.
- Coconut oil softens the scalp. The scalp, just as important as the hair, must be maintained. Coconut oil, rich in essential fatty acids, can penetrate the hair fiber deeply. Thus, the scalp is softened. Coconut oil is therefore ideal for taking care of both the hair and the scalp.
- Coconut oil is effective for dry hair. Dry or damaged hair from too much coloring, discoloration can use coconut oil to solve their problems. Rich in saturated fatty acids, it has emollient properties that coat the hair to protect it and prevent dehydration. Thus, coconut oil restores vigor and suppleness to the hair.
- Coconut oil has antioxidant properties. The combination of antioxidant vitamin E and regenerating vitamin A helps maintain hair growth and renewal. In addition, the blood circulation of the scalp is improved and the hair benefits most from the nutrients brought by the blood. Sebum production is also stimulated to fight against dryness.
- Coconut oil fights dandruff. With antibacterial, antifungal and purifying properties, coconut oil is widely used in shampoos to prevent the appearance of dandruff.
Coconut oil has many benefits. Its moisturizing, nourishing, protective and restorative properties make it an ingredient of choice for many cosmetic products. You will find it in a large number of products that we offer in our online store, and it’s not for nothing!