If you believe the rumors, too frequent masturbation should make you blind and even let your hair fall out. But really does masturbation cause hair loss?
According to current research, there is no evidence that masturbation leads to hair loss. The primary cause of premature hair loss is hereditary and has nothing to do with masturbation. Regular masturbation is also considered normal and healthy.
And yet there are several things to consider here. So let’s take a closer look at the topic.
Here we go!
Masturbating vs. hair loss
On average, men and women lose around 50-100 hairs a day. This is perfectly normal and part of the natural hair cycle.
But if the hair no longer grows back, then there is talk of “hair loss”. But is there any connection here with masturbating?
There are two main reasons why masturbation should accelerate hair loss:
Claim # 1: Masturbating increases DHT levels
DHT stands for dihydrotestosterone. It is a metabolic product of testosterone, which is also significantly more potent than the original sex hormone.
Around 5-10% of the testosterone in your body is converted to DHT.
The problem? Some men are genetically more sensitive to the hormone than others.
The result? When DHT attaches to the scalp receptors, it can lead to hair loss in these individuals.
If masturbation should actually lead to hair loss, then one of the following theses would have to be fulfilled:
- Thesis # 1: Masturbating increases the testosterone level and thus indirectly the DHT.
- Thesis # 2: Masturbating increases the amount of testosterone that is converted into DHT.
Let’s start with the first thesis .
I found two extensive studies on this:
- One study compared the testosterone levels of over 300 impotent men with those of healthy men. The result? There were no significant differences.
- A second study in men compared testosterone levels in abstaining men with those who were sexually active. The result? No differences were found here either.
Specifically: masturbating does not increase testosterone. It therefore has no indirect influence on the level of DHT or hair loss.
In fact, the opposite seems to be the case: Refraining from masturbation can temporarily increase testosterone levels.
- A Chinese study found a 46% increase in testosterone levels after 7 days of abstinence.
- In a second study on men, increased testosterone was also found after 3 weeks of abstinence.
Having said that, both of these studies were conducted with a small number of participants. The informative value is therefore limited.
However, masturbation should not have any long-term effects on testosterone levels.
But what about the second thesis? Does masturbation increase the amount of testosterone that is converted into DHT, thereby accelerating hair loss?
So far there have been no direct studies on this topic.
In a study, however, it was shown that the cuddle hormone (” oxytocin “) promotes the conversion of testosterone to DHT.
And this hormone is released when you masturbate, among other things.
There are two catches here, however:
- Oxytocin is also released during sex, when you are physically close, or when you are in love. So masturbating is just one of many triggers.
- The database consists of a single study. It is also unclear how strong the impact actually was.
Or to put it another way: A direct connection between masturbating and DHT has not yet been proven.
I also do not suspect that a connection will ever be demonstrated here.
Because according to studies, 96% of all people masturbate regularly. Hair loss should therefore also be a global problem.
Claim # 2: Masturbating leads to protein deficiency
If you believe the magazines, semen is said to be a “natural protein shake” because of its high protein content.
So if you ejaculate regularly, you lose high amounts of protein. And that in turn should promote hair loss.
This claim is based on two theses:
- Thesis # 1: Sperm contains a lot of protein.
- Thesis # 2: A lack of protein leads to hair loss.
Let’s start at the beginning here too.
One study showed that sperm has around 5 g of protein per 100 ml.
Here are a few comparative values:
- Eggs = 12 g protein per 100 g
- Low-fat quark = 11 g protein per 100 g
- Oatmeal = 10 g protein per 100 g
- Milk = 3.3 g protein per 100 ml
An average ejaculation only contains 3.7 ml. So you only lose around 0.2 mg of protein when you ejaculate .
In other words, you’d have to masturbate hundreds of times a day to get protein deficient.
But the second thesis is also controversial.
There is evidence that a protein deficiency can promote thinning and loss of hair, but only in the case of a significant deficiency.
A permanent and severe protein deficiency, on the other hand, is very rare in Germany .
Because on the one hand our eating culture is very protein-rich and on the other hand we also have an oversupply of food. In countries like Africa, on the other hand, this is much more common.
Real Causes of Premature Hair Loss
If masturbating doesn’t cause hair loss, what are the causes?
According to the American Organization for Hair Loss (AHLA), hereditary hair loss is responsible for 95% of cases.
In other words: a genetically determined sensitivity of the hair roots to DHT. Unfortunately, there is currently no successful treatment for this.
In the remaining 5% of cases, other factors are also responsible:
- Scalp infections
- Physical stress
- Chemotherapy and radiation therapies
- Excessive hair pulling
- Nutritional deficiency
- Skin disorders
- Excessive hair styling
- Mental stress
- Hormonal changes
- Certain medications
- Autoimmune disorders
Many of the above disorders can be corrected, which can stop or even reverse hair loss.
Are there legitimate reasons not to masturbate?
Hair loss does not seem to be a valid reason for abstinence. But are there otherwise medically proven factors that could speak for it?
Not really. Even the opposite:
- Masturbating regularly can reduce the risk of prostate cancer by as much as 33%.
- Masturbating leads to the release of various happiness hormones, which relax you, improve your sleep and even reduce stress.
- Masturbating leads to the exchange of sperm, which can increase fertility.
- Ejaculating regularly prevents wet dreams, which can occur in men of all ages.
There is one exception, however: when masturbation becomes compulsive and you develop an addiction to masturbation. However, this is relatively rare.
Aside from the rumor that masturbating leads to hair loss, there are numerous other myths:
- It’s supposed to make you blind.
- Lead to erectile dysfunction.
- Make it sterile.
- Lead to hair on hands.
- None of these claims has yet been proven.