An eye specialist, also known as an ophthalmologist or oculist, specializes in treating conditions related to the eyes. They are vital for detecting visual problems and diseases early on, preventing them from worsening. See the services you can expect from your eye specialist clinic in Singapore on this page; https://www.drchelvinsng.com/.
Usually, an ophthalmologist needs to examine medical conditions that affect the eyes. Here are five benefits of visiting an eye specialist clinic:
- Preventing blindness and other diseases in the long run: This is perhaps the most obvious benefit: When you visit an eye specialist clinic in Singapore early on, it may prevent permanent vision loss in the future – particularly important for serious conditions such as glaucoma and retinopathy.
- Diabetic Eye Disease (Diabetic Retinopathy): One common disease which requires immediate intervention from an ophthalmologist is diabetic eye disease (i.e., diabetic retinopathy). This disease occurs when blood vessels in the retina become damaged due to high levels of sugar or hypertension; this can lead to vision loss. This may even lead to blindness in severe cases, making ophthalmologists a vital part of the treatment team for diabetics.
- Managing visual conditions early on: Pediatricians or general practitioners can usually detect vision problems such as strabismus and amblyopia. However, they require follow-up visits with an eye specialist to manage any complications which may arise from these conditions, especially if surgery is required to correct them. Furthermore, people who use corrective lenses should visit eye specialists regularly to ensure that their prescription stays accurate.
- Tracking other health conditions: Today’s medical professionals are well aware that there is often a strong connection between your eyes and overall health; many eye diseases are associated with other chronic conditions such as diabetes, glaucoma, and high cholesterol. This means that by visiting an eye specialist clinic, you could potentially get early detection of these health conditions before they lead to serious complications.
- High-quality care: Lastly, if you’re looking for quick medical attention or expert advice about your eyes – or require follow-up appointments after illness or surgery – an eye specialist clinic in Singapore is the best choice for individualized care. They will be able to recommend better treatment options for your condition without having to refer you to another specialist (e.g., a neurologist), maximizing the quality of medical help that you receive.
When should you Visit an Eye Specialist Clinic?
Visiting an eye specialist clinic in Singapore is beneficial, but it is not always a necessity since you can visit the general ophthalmologist for basic check-ups. However, if you have medical conditions which require frequent follow-up appointments, visiting an eye specialist clinic will ensure that your conditions are being managed efficiently and that you’re receiving quality care. Here are seven instances that may warrant a visit to an eye specialist clinic:
- You have experienced sudden or severe eye pain without any visual symptoms
Eye pain is usually caused by corneal injuries, foreign objects which have gotten stuck in the eye, and sometimes even glaucoma. If you experience sudden or severe pain without any accompanying vision problems – and especially if it gets worse over time – then this may warrant an immediate visit to an eye specialist. The pain alone may have caused significant damage to your eye, so you should seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- You are experiencing vision changes or difficulties
Vision changes can be a sign of many different ocular conditions – from glaucoma to migraines. If you’re experiencing blurred vision, double vision, difficulty focusing on objects near and far away, flashes of light in your peripheral vision, or any other unusual symptoms involving your eyesight – then make an appointment at an eye specialist clinic ASAP.
- Your contact lenses do not seem to fit properly anymore
If you’ve recently started using contact lenses, but they seem uncomfortable or don’t seem to fit your eyes very well anymore – even after trying out different brands/models/solutions – then it might be worth scheduling an appointment with your eye specialist clinic in Singapore. There is a possibility that the lenses themselves haven’t been fitted properly, and this could cause vision problems or discomfort, so you should have them checked once again.
- You have been diagnosed with diabetes or another chronic health condition
Diabetes is one of the leading causes of blindness in Singapore, and there are many other chronic conditions that can lead to ocular damage if left untreated. To monitor any possible eye complications related to these conditions, you need to visit an eye specialist regularly for early detection, management, and prevention. Here’s a list of some common chronic conditions associated with poor eyesight: Alzheimer’s disease, glaucoma, anemia, high blood pressure, and cancer.
- You’re experiencing any sort of eye discomfort
This may seem like a broad category, but it is actually divided into two specific types: light-related (photophobia) and non-light-related (ocular strain). Light-related eye discomfort can be experienced during the day or night with bright lights such as sunlight, headlights from oncoming cars/buses, computer screens, etc.; this type of discomfort is usually caused by migraines or excessively dry eyes. Non-light-related eye discomfort is usually more bearable with glasses or contact lenses; this type of irritation is most commonly experienced in patients with early glaucoma. While both categories pose different sets of symptoms – and thus require different treatments – they both warrant a visit to an eye specialist for diagnosis and management.
- You have been experiencing double vision or any other type of blurred vision
Blurred vision can be a sign of many different ocular conditions, so don’t just ignore the warning signs if you don’t want to go through the stress of vision loss! Double-vision is often associated with early glaucoma, macular degeneration (age-related), cataracts, and diabetic retinopathy; it can also be caused by dry eyes or eye strain. There are other types of blurry vision as well, such as halos around lights (imaging having water droplets on your contact lenses), ghosting (seeing after images even without stimulus), and reduced contrast sensitivity (the ability to discern between two objects that look similar). If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, make an appointment at an eye specialist clinic right away.
- You’ve been diagnosed with a chronic ocular condition
It might seem counterintuitive to visit an eye specialist if you already know that you have a chronic condition – such as glaucoma or diabetes – but this is actually beneficial for two reasons:
- Identifying early signs and symptoms of the disease will allow your eye doctor to monitor its progression and
- Being a member of a patient collective can help in finding new treatments before they hit the market. This means that your visits will not only diagnose problems related to eye conditions but also give you access to research studies that could lead to better treatments down the road. In short: don’t be afraid to visit the eye specialist even if you’ve been diagnosed with a chronic condition; it’s beneficial in many ways.
People who experience light-related or non-light-related eye discomfort should schedule an appointment with their optometrist; this also applies to people who have been diagnosed with a chronic ocular condition. Visiting an eye specialist clinic in Singapore regularly will allow you to monitor the progression of your vision, stay up-to-date on treatment advances, and gain peace of mind knowing that your eyes are healthy.
Do you experience any worrisome eye changes and you aren’t sure what’s causing them? We’d be glad to give you all the assistance you need. Give us a call now to schedule your appointment or comprehensive eye checkup. Call or Email:
+65 6334 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chelvin Sng Eye Centre – Glaucoma | Cataract Surgery | Eye Specialist
38 IRRAWADDY ROAD MT ELIZABETH NOVENA SPECIALIST CENTRE, #06-25, 329563
+65 6334 2282