Permanent retainer looks like a thin wire made of a hypoallergenic, biologically neutral alloy, which is “permanently” fixed with a special glue on the front 6 teeth. It can be used for both the upper and lower jaw. Such a splint firmly holds the teeth in the smile zone in their places, preventing them from returning to their previous position.
To prevent the teeth from returning to their previous position, after bite correction with braces, retainers are used. They fix the tissues with the ligaments, which are most susceptible to deformation.
Non-removable retainer material
The Permanent retainer is designed to be worn continuously during the retention period.
The product has the shape of an arc, permanently fixed with special glue on the inside of the teeth.
The material from which the permanent retainer is made can be different:
- metal (medical steel);
- fiber system (polyamide, polyethylene, carbon fiber, glass fiber).
The process of preparing and installing a permanent retainer.
A fixed retainer is installed almost immediately after removing the bracket system.
A number of mandatory procedures precede the installation of a permanent retainer:
- careful examination of the patient’s oral cavity;
- treatment of carious teeth and gum disease (if necessary);
- professional hygienic cleaning;
- preparation of enamel with the help of special preparations that allow to securely fix the non-removable retainer on the dental crowns.
After performing these procedures, the orthodontist proceeds to fix the retainer in the patient’s oral cavity. This consists of the following points:
- Dental crowns are treated with a substance that increases the reliability of their adhesion to the composite material.
- The use of a fixed fiber retainer requires a special preparation of the crowns. On their inner side, it is necessary to form grooves for laying the tape.
- The treated surface is thoroughly dried.
- The retainer is fixed with glue;
- The attachment points of the permanent retainer are polished to ensure a comfortable fit in the patient’s mouth.
When an indirect fixation method is provided, the orthodontist takes a preliminary impression of the jaw. A permanent retainer is attached to the manufactured model of the jaw, which is transferred to the patient’s teeth using a special silicone key.
Duration of wearing a permanent retainer
The time of using the retainer, like its type, is determined by the doctor and depends on the age of the patient and the complexity of the pathology.
Usually, the retention period exceeds the active one by 1.5 – 2 times, there are cases when the wearing of a retainer is prescribed for life.
Factors that affect the duration of the fixing stage:
- the state of the patient’s dentition (presence or absence of adentia);
- the rate of displacement of dental units;
- condition of periodontal tissues.
The installation price will depend on the retainer option. If a classic archwire is used, then the installation is carried out without preparation. The procedure itself will include the treatment of areas of the crown with an adhesive material, positioning of the device and fitting the retainer onto a special adhesive. As a rule, such a procedure does not require the use of special equipment and does not take much time for the doctor. The cost in this case will be approximately 3 – 5 thousand rubles.
If Ribbond tape was chosen as a retainer, then the installation price will increase several times. Adhesive treatment is not enough to fix the tape. It is necessary to first form horizontal canals in crowns requiring retention. The canals should be shallow and match exactly, forming one longitudinal groove. This requires the doctor to use a bur with special tips, and the procedure itself is time-consuming. In addition, after fixing the tape, the edges of the furrow must be closed with a composite, which can also be attributed to costs. As a result, the cost of this type of installation will be 6-10 thousand rubles.
Fixed-type retainers are presented in only two options:
- Metal arc. This device belongs to the classic type, for the manufacture of which it is necessary to take an impression of the jaw and send the collected data to the laboratory. The arc is made from a conventional medical alloy, which has an acceptable cost price, which affects the final price. In the manufacturing process, only standard equipment is used, with the help of which one bundle is twisted from several metal threads. The cost of such a device is about 5 thousand rubles. The low price is explained not only by the simplicity of the technology, but also by the unpretentiousness of the system – it is well fixed both with special glue and with an ordinary composite.
- Ribbon Ribbon. Despite the external similarity, this option is more expensive. At the moment, the purchase of Ribbond tape will cost 10 thousand rubles. This price is considered quite reasonable, since a unique technology and reinforced elastic material are used for the manufacture. This system is produced only in America. In order to receive it, you must first order, and then wait for the arrival of the goods, which also affects the cost.
READ ALSO: HOW TO CHOOSE A GOOD DENTIST
Since during the period of wearing braces, patients get used to the peculiarities of oral hygiene procedures, nothing new awaits them. Still needed:
- use the paste carefully and not with a stiff brush;
- rinse your mouth with warm water after each meal;
- use an irrigator, brush, dental floss (floss);
- make professional teeth cleaning every six months.
Pros and Cons of permanent retainers
The pros of fixed retainers include:
- high aesthetics of the product;
- fastening speed;
- high efficiency;
- there is practically no adaptation period;
- The impact on the teeth occurs 24 hours a day.
The cons of permanent retainers are:
- the need for regular visits to the dental office;
- there is a possibility of peeling off a small part of the retainer (the doctor must immediately eliminate the problem that has arisen);
- high-quality daily care is important, the absence of which can lead to the formation of tartar and gum disease of the patient.
A correctly selected retention device and the fulfillment of all the prescriptions of the attending orthodontist guarantee that your new smile will remain flawless, even and highly aesthetically pleasing.
More to read: What is a periodontist: what does and what heals
When it is possible to remove permanent retainer
Removal of a fixed retainer is possible in two cases:
- after the end of the retention period;
- to eliminate cavities at the place of retainer fixation.
The duration of the retention period, as well as the type of retention device, is determined by the attending physician. As a rule, in its duration it exceeds twice the active therapeutic stage.
The choice of a permanent retainer and its service life depends on the following factors:
- the complexity of the pathology to be corrected – tooth rotation, crowding of teeth, distal occlusion with retrusion, gnathic open bite, genetic factor of occlusion – these pathologies are difficult to correct;
- the age of the patient – the earlier the treatment begins, the shorter the retention period;
- speed of movement of dental units – the longer the active period of treatment lasts, the faster the stabilization of the achieved result occurs;
- periodontal conditions;
- the number of missing teeth;
- discipline of the patient – the degree of responsibility of the patient can influence the choice in favor of a removable or non-removable design.
As you can see, the duration of retention is individual and there is no clear answer about its duration.
It is important to follow these guidelines:
- teeth brushing is done twice a day;
- for the best cleaning of the interdental space, it is advisable to use an irrigator or dental floss;
- when cleaning the inner surface of the dentition, where the structure is installed, you need to be careful, do not press, do not press hard on the brush, so that the product does not come off;
- after eating, the mouth is caressed with a fluoride solution;
- once every 6 months, cleaning is carried out in the dental office;
- if a removable product is installed, it must be removed before eating and stored in a container specially designed for it;
- a removable retainer is placed in a disinfectant liquid at least once a day;
- for care, you must not use aggressive substances, for example, peroxide.
If the device comes loose, deformed or becomes uncomfortable, an urgent need to consult a dentist.